device eth1 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization

So here I am, looking at two identical machines with identical OS installation and configuration etc., all appearing fine with other installations/configurations I’m working on, when I ended up doing a network device check running ifconfig and then wondering, why does machine-A have eth0 and eth1, but machine-B is missing eth-1?

Ran

# ifup eth1

only to get the error “device eth1 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization”.
both

# dmesg | grep eth

and

# lspci

find the network card without any problems. Also I was pretty sure that I saw eth1 initially when I first played with the machines on machine-B.

Since it’s a CentOS installation, I compared both machines’ /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1, which both looked alright as well, each adjusted with their own static IP.

Through Google I came across this site which explains in detail how the author found the error and steps to fix it.

In short, I ran

# ip -o link

on both machines.
Machine-A showed:

1: lo:  mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue \    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: eth0:  mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000\    link/ether 00:25:90:2c:13:c1 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: eth1:  mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000\    link/ether 00:25:90:2c:13:c0 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: br0:  mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue \    link/ether 00:25:90:2c:13:c1 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
5: virbr1:  mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue \    link/ether 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
6: virbr0:  mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue \    link/ether 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

while machine-B displayed:

1: lo:  mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue \    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: eth0:  mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000\    link/ether 00:25:90:2c:3b:89 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: dev11816:  mtu 1500 qdisc noop qlen 1000\    link/ether 00:25:90:2c:3b:88 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
5: virbr0:  mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue \    link/ether 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
6: br0:  mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue \    link/ether 00:25:90:2c:3b:89 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

dev11816 being eth1. I then realized that in my case I made a typo in the ifcfg-eth1 file in the HWADDR. Since I scp’ed the file over from machine-A and adjusted it to its own IP etc, I mistyped the :88 to a :89, causing all the trouble.
Fixed that, and the problem was solved :)